An unusual wish

My friend says... "Some people only learn by falling into holes.  I know [a person] who keeps falling into little holes.  Holes we know are there but we fall into them.  Little holes like drugs, stealing, speeding, etc, basically things that we already know are inherently wrong.  So I told [this person]... I wish for you to fall into a really big hole, not these little ones, but a big one."

At first, this statement kind of struck me.  I didn't agree, I thought that's like wishing for someone to go through a lot of pain and suffering.  Isn't that the opposite of what we all want for one another?  Isn't it? Then I thought of all the eye-opening experiences and circumstances that lead to growth and understanding in my life... they were all difficult experiences.  And they've made me who I am today.  They've craved a more complete me.  And I'm able to do so much more with life than ever before so I'm thankful in a way for all those experiences.  It's an interesting wish though... I'm not sure I'd wish those experiences on any one but then again if someone was falling into "small holes"all the time, I might wish for something to shake them out of it.  Maybe it's the falling that sounds wrong in my friends statement.  We could change it to, "I wish for you to climb out of a really big hole, not these little ones, but a big one." I might wish that for someone.

No comments:

Post a Comment